seeking help on JFFS2

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Nov 7 03:49:02 EST 2002

joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se said:
> Why does JEDEC end up in cfi_cmdset_0001.c?

CFI only defines how you _probe_ chips. The actual Intel command set is the
same as it's always been, likewise the AMD one. This is why jedec_probe
passes control to the CFI drivers and all the other chip drivers are
deprecated.

> If it should end up in cfi_cmdset_0001.c, why does it not set cmdset_priv?

IIRC because cmdset_priv is just a copy of the extended CFI table from the
chip, which we don't have in the case of a non-CFI chip. It's that which
holds the details of whether we can do erase suspend, etc.

Perhaps the table in jedec_probe should also contain a 'fake' extended CFI
table. More sensibly, perhaps we should have a structure in the cmdset_priv
with just the flags we care about, and at probe time either parse the
extended CFI table or copy those flags from the jedec_probe table.

For now, we just assume jedec-probed chips have none of the extended
features.

--
dwmw2