how to handle the invalid block of the NAND flash?

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Mon Nov 4 08:32:16 EST 2002

On Monday 04 November 2002 11:27, Paul Wong wrote:
> Hi! all,
>     I know that the NAND flash memory is not guaranteed to be good in all
> block. Has the MTD/NAND driver handle this condition? If not, how to
> implement this?

The NAND driver itself does not handle bad blocks, except that it denies the
request to erase a bad block. The bad block management has to be done in the
filesystem layer. There are two NAND aware filesystems: JFFS2 and YAFFS.
See also http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/tech/nand.html

--
Thomas
linutronix - competence in embedded & realtime linux
mail: tglx at linutronix.de