AW: Getting big flash onto motherboards. Will CF work? what wil l?

Robert Kaiser rob at sysgo.de
Tue May 21 04:40:17 EDT 2002

Am Dienstag, 21. Mai 2002 09:01 schrieb Veikko Werner:
> > On Fri, 17 May 2002, john riehl wrote:
> > > At 08:51 PM 5/17/02 +0200, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> > >  what
> > > happens when cf loses power?
> >
> > I understand that when a CF loses power while a write is in
> > progress, it
> > may corrupt some blocks in such a way that they can not be recovered.
>
> sure, but is this a problem only CF has?

No, I guess normal IDE disks have it as well. But flash memory does not, and
-I think- DOC devices also don't have this problem. That's why I was asking
wether DOM's are any different from CF (besides the form factor): I guess I
was hoping they also would not have this problem, but apparently nobody
really knows :-(

> Or is it just a problem if we're using th wrong (non journaling)
> filesystem?

Applying any of the journalling filesystems to a CF will *not* solve this
problem, AFAIK. You may survive the occasional power outage, possibly lose a
sector in the process. But if unclean shutdown happens on a regular basis,
the CF may run out of usable sectors sooner or later.

Rob

Robert Kaiser                         email: rkaiser at sysgo.de
SYSGO RTS GmbH
Am Pfaffenstein 14                    phone: (49) 6136 9948-762
D-55270 Klein-Winternheim / Germany   fax:   (49) 6136 9948-10