FAT for NAND Flash

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu May 16 13:35:12 EDT 2002

paul at oz.net said:
>  Michael and I have been looking at the SDDR-09 driver.  I could be
> wrong, but as far as I can tell, the sddr09.c code does not grok
> FAT12.   It only seems to have generic SCSI commands sent to the USB
> SCSI emulation  layer (i.e. it seems to treat SmartMedia cards as
> generic block devices).   I believe the actual FAT12 translation
> occurs in the firmware of the USB  SmartMedia reader?

No.

SmartMedia is just a translation layer. It emulates a block device.

You may use a FAT filesystem on that block device. Most people do. But why
do you expect the driver to have any knowledge of FAT? Does the floppy disk
driver? Does the IDE disk driver?

The FAT (or ext2, or reiserfs, or whatever) file system is an entirely
separate layer from the block device which is provided by the SmartMedia
driver.

--
dwmw2