can't rmmod cfi_cmdset_0002

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Fri May 10 17:35:45 EDT 2002

> In the course of hacking on pci.c, I've encountered an issue with
> removing the cfi_cmdset_0002 module.  It seems that once I have
> successfully loaded the pci module, I can't unload the cmdset module.
> Is it likely that I have created this problem?  How does one go about
> tracking down a problem like this?

I've done a little more experimenting and come up with another data point.
After installing physmap, the use count of cfi_cmdset_0002 goes from
0 to 2.  When I rmmod physmap, the use count of cfi_cmdset_0002 only drops
back to 1, which prevents the module from being unloaded.  Has anyone
else seen this problem?  Note that the only change I made to physmap.c
was to change ioremap to ioremap_nocache.  It appears from looking at
the code that a call to cfi_cmdset_0002 will result in the macro
MOD_INC_USE_COUNT being executed twice, once in cfi_cmdset_0002, and again
in cfi_amdstd_setup.  cfi_cmdset_0001.c has a similar structure.
Is this intentional?

thanks,
galen