misc question about MTD

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri May 10 03:23:41 EDT 2002

zeusj at firstlinux.net said:
> 1.in cfi_probe_chip(cfi_probe.c), what is an 'alias ' of a flash chip?
> is that the same flash chip mapping in different address?

Yes. Often, people will connect flash chips without all the address lines
being used, so they can swap in larger chips later. Then you get these
'aliases'.

> 2.if I send Query command (98h, I mean) twice, would the 'QRY' disappear?

Er, I don't know. I don't think so, but if this _is_ required then it could
be useful -- currently we have to use a chip-specific command to put chips
back in read mode when we do the alias detection.

> and if I send it once, can I read the 'QRY' for several times?

Yes, you can.

--
dwmw2