Boot from DoC2000

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu May 9 18:45:37 EDT 2002

dmartz at shelbrook.com said:
>  My PC/104 board has an older/patched version of lilo and linux on it,
> how do I replace the current lilo firmware? I have already formatted
> the device from a floppy boot (may that wasn't so smart). Can I
> install grub over top of the existing lilo by bootdisk, or do I need
> to uninstall lilo first?

Grub (or the original firmware) live in the raw flash, before the actual NFL
format starts. Grub is bigger than the original firmware, so when you
install Grub, you have to recreate the NFTL format. It's best to do this
with the M-Systems DFORMAT program under DOS, but it's also possible to use
the Linux nftl_format program which doesn't deal with bad blocks properly.

You can tell the DFORMAT program how much space to reserve for the
firmware, I believe.

You need to apply the DiskOnChip patches to Grub, if they're not already
merged.

--
dwmw2