Building from CVS for 2.2.x

elf at buici.com elf at buici.com
Sun May 5 12:04:27 EDT 2002

It appears that at least one of the include references in the CVS code
(mtd-snapshot-20020504) is not compatible with the 2.2.x kernel
series.

I'm building the kernel from a directory in my /home.  The kernel
running on the development system is 2.4.x.  I unpacked a stock 2.2.17
kernel, patched it with mtd-2.2.17.patch, and then ran patchin.sh.  I
I checked the links and found them proper and intact.

The first problem was that the spinlock types were defined twice
incompatibly.  In compactmac.h, the inclusion of linux/spinlock.h at
line 362 pulls the file from /usr/include instead of the linux source
tree version.  Changing this include to asm/spinlock.h eliminated the
problem, though I'm not confident that this is the right way to fix
it.

Then, the pci.c driver in mtd/maps failed to build, but for a reason I
couldn't deduce.  The compiler complains that the ioremap_noncache
symbol is missing.

What might I be missing?  Is there another kernel patch?