docprobe.c on PowerPC

Brendan J Simon brendan.simon at bigpond.com
Thu May 2 02:57:31 EDT 2002

There a bug in MTD and/or Linux and/or gcc for docprobe on PowerPC
machines.  I have a pretty recent linux.2.4.18-pre8 kernel from the
bitkeeper linuxppc_devel archives.  It seems that when setting up
doc_locations[] that the #elif defined(__ppc__) is not executed.  The
gcc specs file does not mention this definition.  I did a gcc -v on a
test file and it seems that -DPPC -D__PPC and -D__PPC__ are defined but
not -D__ppc__.  Other architectures in the docprobe.c file use
__alpha__, __i386 __x86_64__, etc.  Where do these definitions come from
(or where are they supposed to be defined) ?  In GCC, the linux kernel
or should the MTD code use __PPC__ instead ???

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.