MTD Always Formats Blocks on Startup

David Cooper david at forcedpotato.com
Sun Mar 31 15:41:46 EST 2002

I'm trying to put together an embedded Linux system using a DOC 2000 as the
boot device.

So far I have managed to re-compile my 2.4.2 kernel so as to recognise the
DOC and allow me to setup partitions and install an ext2 filesystem.

The problem now is that upon loading the DOC and NFTL drivers the system
goes into a lengthy process of "formatting blocks".  Typical messages on
startup are as follows:

Formatting block 5321
_DOC_WaitReady called for out-of-line wait
_DOC_WaitReady called for out-of-line wait
Formatting block 5322
_DOC_WaitReady called for out-of-line wait
_DOC_WaitReady called for out-of-line wait
Formatting block 5323

This adds a good 2 minutes or so to my boot process as well as worrying the
living daylights out of me.

Despite this drama my partitions and ext2 filesystem seem to remain intact.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

David Cooper