bad block recovery

Stephen Bardsley sbardsley at rlwinc.com
Mon Mar 18 10:51:02 EST 2002

> sbardsley at rlwinc.com said:
> >  I took a quick look at the code and see that meminfo.erasesize is
> > used to scale various values.  I don't see why 8Kb is a limit.  I have
> > found that my chip's erase size to be 16Kb; is there any way for me to
> > use nftl_format? If necessary, I don't mind modifying the code, but I
> > don't want to screw it up.  Any hints?
>
> You _ought_ to be able to just remove that check, if you first verify that
> we'll do the right thing through the rest of the code rather than using a
> hardcoded 8KiB. I put the check in just because I'd never tested the larger
> erase size.

I don't know a great deal about this stuff, but the code seems to want to do
the "right thing".  So I removed the 8Kb check, and ntfl_format is running as
I write this; so far so good.

BTW -- It might be good to add a note to the FAQ regarding nftl_format and
driver debug options.  Debugging causes the format to crawl.  On my hardware
it is the difference between 20 minutes (without debug) and 4 hours (with debug)
(estimated times).

Thanks again.

Steve