"Kernel panic: mtdblock: request list destroyed" with recent changes

William Jhun wjhun at ayrnetworks.com
Fri Mar 15 23:09:24 EST 2002

Hi,

I'm a bit new to mtd-land, but I'm having a problem with a freshly
updated cvs tree and the mtdblock driver. My kernel is based on
linux-2.4.2 and has symlinks for drivers/mtd and include/linux/mtd to
point to my mtd cvs sources.  A kernel build with a sticky tag set to
03/10/2002 works perfectly fine, but the latest tree gives me this:

[...]
devfs: v0.102 (20000622) Richard Gooch (rgooch at atnf.csiro.au)
devfs: boot_options: 0x0
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 64k freed
Kernel panic: mtdblock: request list destroyed

This happens whether there are MTD devices registered or not, so I
doubt this is related to any low-level flash drivers/devices. I
noticed some changes that happened to mtdblock.c on 3/11; perhaps
these are related?  Sorry, no call trace or anything...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Will

[wjhun at mcnaulty mtd]$ cvs status mtdblock.c
File: mtdblock.c        Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    1.52
   Repository revision: 1.52    /home/cvs/mtd/drivers/mtd/mtdblock.c,v
   Sticky Tag:          (none)
   Sticky Date:         2002.03.10.08.00.00
   Sticky Options:      (none)
[wjhun at mcnaulty mtd]$ cd ../..
[wjhun at mcnaulty mtd-main]$ cvs update -A
[...]
cvs server: Updating .
cvs server: Updating boot
cvs server: Updating drivers
cvs server: Updating drivers/mtd
P drivers/mtd/mtdblock.c
P drivers/mtd/mtdblock_ro.c
P drivers/mtd/nftlmount.c
cvs server: Updating drivers/mtd/chips
M drivers/mtd/chips/jedec_probe.c
cvs server: Updating drivers/mtd/devices
cvs server: Updating drivers/mtd/maps
P drivers/mtd/maps/dilnetpc.c
P drivers/mtd/maps/sa1100-flash.c
cvs server: Updating drivers/mtd/nand
cvs server: Updating ffs2
cvs server: Updating fs
cvs server: Updating fs/ffs2
cvs server: Updating fs/jffs
cvs server: Updating fs/jffs2
P fs/jffs2/TODO
P fs/jffs2/build.c
P fs/jffs2/dir.c
P fs/jffs2/fs.c
P fs/jffs2/gc.c
P fs/jffs2/malloc.c
P fs/jffs2/nodelist.c
P fs/jffs2/nodelist.h
P fs/jffs2/nodemgmt.c
P fs/jffs2/scan.c
P fs/jffs2/super.c
P fs/jffs2/wbuf.c
cvs server: Updating fs/jffs2/compressors
cvs server: Updating fs/jffs2/test
cvs server: Updating grub
[...]