Intel Strata Flash recognition

Tony R truggeri at gte.net
Wed Mar 13 23:29:11 EST 2002

Hello all,

I have a board with a ZFx86 processor from ZF Micro devices and a 16M Intel
Strata flash chip with a 16 bit bus.  I have had no luck in getting the
cfi_probe to recognize the chip once the kernel has booted from it and the
file system has been loaded into RAM.

I have the follwing configuration.  I am using a 2.4.18 kernel with the
latest mtd package downloaded from CVS.  I have a CFI compliant Intel 16M
flash chip.  I boot the kernel off the chip using a phoenix bios and
linuxloader also residing on the flash chip.  I successfully extract the
compressed filesystem residing on the chip into ram but once there, modprobe
physmap fails to recognize it.
I have followed the procedure as outlined in the mtd-jffs-HOWTO for Raw
Flash and still get' Physically mapped flash: Found no CFI device at
location zero'. I Have also gone into physmap.c to modify ioremap for
nocache, but that doesn't make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Tony Ruggieri
truggieri at multitechcorp.com