Trying to boot linux off a 2MiB M-Sys DoC2000 chip

Ilguiz Latypov ilatypov at superbt.com
Sat Jun 22 10:49:22 EDT 2002

On 22 Jun 2002, Gonzalo Servat wrote:

> My question is, how do I configure grub to know how to boot off the DoC?
> I can get it to boot off an IDE HDD (root hd(0,0); kernel /boot/bzImage;
> boot) but how would grub know how to access the DoC's kernel?

Try

  root (dc0)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/nftla ro

for a filesystem on top of /dev/nftla or

  root (dc0,0)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ntla1

for one on top of /dev/nftla1.  The first line may point to a different
partition that would hold the kernel image.  Such separation allows to
let GRUB boot a kernel off an ext2 partition.  The kernel in turn can
mount another ext3 partition under "/".  GRUB is not aware of ext3.

Ilguiz