X Windows Performance with DOC 2000

David Cooper david at forcedpotato.com
Thu Jun 20 15:41:06 EDT 2002

Hello,

I have tried more and found out more.

(1) M-Systems Firmware

Strange, but true. If I use M-System's DOS-based dformat utility to load
firware version 4.2 into the DOC 2000 this prevents X from runnning from the
IDE drive.  This is true even if I boot with a kernel that has no support
for the DOC 2000.  As long as the DOC is sitting in my system (with Rev 4.2
firmware) X will not run.  I should point out that X does not cause the
system to hang in this case.

(2) nftl_format

So I bit the bullet and tried to remove all firmware (M-Systems dformat
/empty) and then do a complete low-level format with the MTD nftl_format
utility.  Then I put on top of that a ext2 root filesystem (not self
bootable of course).  This provided no improvement.  X still falls over at
the same spot.

(3) X Modules

I then was able to look at the X log file (/var/log/XFree86.0.log) and it
seemed that the point at which X fell over was when it was trying to load
the ddc module (libddc.a).  So I then mounted the entire
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules directory from the IDE drive and ran the rest from
the root filesystem on the DOC.  This allows X to get a little further
(seems to try to load a screen from the VESA BIOS).  But it still hangs,
this time after putting rubbish graphics on the screen (as in a normal
initialisation).

Question:  Why does X have trouble loading the libddc.a module from the DOC?

Thanks for you advice and suggestions thus far.

Cheers,

David Cooper