Updating the root partition

Stefan Thomasson stefan.thomasson at possio.com
Thu Jun 20 06:13:29 EDT 2002

Hi, I'm trying to this whith a jffs2 partition and
have some questions regarding this.

Russ Dill wrote:

> The ftpd daemon then sends a HUP signal to init

Doesn't init only reread the inittab on a HUP?

> because inittab contains the line: ::restart:/linuxex, init kills all
> running processes and exec's /linuxex

Its not like going to runlevel 1, is it?

restart, is this a special function in BB init? Could not find any info
on this one,
is it like a reboot? Or does it get executed everytime I starts?

> linuxex now runs, and is the only running process on the system, linuxex
> is a shell script:
>
> /bin/umount /tmp
> /bin/umount /etc
> /bin/umount /proc
> /bin/cp /usr/sbin/flash /var
> /bin/cp -a /dev/nftla /var/out
> /bin/cp -a /dev/ttyS0 /var
> cd /var
> /bin/ln -s flash chroot
> /bin/mkdir old
> echo pivot root to var...
> pivot_root . old
> exec ./chroot . ./flash

Why are you running chroot symlinked to flash, unless its multi
function...

> so now flash is the only program running, and its statiacally linked, so
> there are no more references to the cramfs root, and it can be umounted
> by flash. flash ten proceeds to flash the image, and reset the machine.
>
> ------
>
> so as you can see, there is no pseudo single user mode required, and the
> flash image is received while the system is up and fully operational. As
> soon as the image is received and verified, the system basically goes
> down for a reboot, during which the new image is flashed.

Is this done for every reboot?