Updating the root partition

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Wed Jun 19 18:23:03 EDT 2002

On Wed, 19 June 2002 11:18:12 -0400, Chris AtLee wrote:
> I've got linux booting off of a cramfs partition sitting on mtdblock1.
> Is it possible to overwrite the mtdblock1 partition while linux is
> running?  The kernel itself isn't located on the root partition.  I've
> tried just copying a new cramfs image to /dev/mtd1 but I get errors on
> decompressing next time I try and boot.

- Use /dev/mtdblock1. The char device does not erase any blocks, so
  you end up ||ing the old and new data.
- Do the flashing soon after reboot and make sure, all necessary
  binaries are in RAM. Power-cycle afterwards, as you sure don't want
  to load good-as-random code and execute it, albeit it is only the
  userspace.

Jörn

--
Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
-- Donald Knuth