JFFS & MTDBLOCK

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jun 18 11:37:36 EDT 2002

catlee at canada.com said:
>  I'm not sure that I understand what this means...
> Does it mean that for production units where you want the filesystem
> to be writeable you should use JFFS on a non-MTDBLOCK device?

> Or does it mean that using a filesystem other than JFFS for writing to
> a MTDBLOCK device is probably a bad idea?

It means the latter. When you mount JFFS/JFFS2 on an mtdblock device, it
doesn't actually _use_ the read/modify/erase/writeback algorithm described
-- or indeed use the mtdblock driver at all -- it just uses the minor
number of the mtdblock device you specified to get a handle on the real
underlying MTD device.

Using any _other_ file system than JFFS/JFFS2 on the mtdblock device other
than in read-only mode is a bad idea.

--
dwmw2