why MTD model ?

Studying MTD studying_mtd at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 05:01:25 EDT 2002

--- David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:

> Flash devices have large erase blocks. You cannot
> just treat them as a block
> device with a sector size of 64KiB, etc.

We can change the sector size on block devices.

> A flash device can have sectors
> erased independently of write operations, can have
> write operations
> performed independently of erases

I think, this is not neccesary to keep erase
independent from writing, we can erase before we
write.

> (e.g. JFFS2 does so just to clear one
> extra 'valid' bit in existing nodes', can support
> writes to arbitrary byte
> ranges, etc.

It is not neccesary that we use JFFS2, we can use any
filesystem on flash but at low level when we are
writing to flash, we can use wear levelling.

> The MTD API allows you to make use of those
features.

Are these are only feature provided by MTD ?

I am not able to understand what is special in MTD
model ?

Please help me.

thanks for your help.