why MTD model ?

Studying MTD studying_mtd at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 00:29:45 EDT 2002

--- David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:

> studying_mtd at yahoo.com said:
> > Can somehow we treat(emulate) memory device as a
> block device and
> > treat memory device like a hard disk ?
>
> Not directly, no. There are drivers which do so --
> and present a flash
> device as a block device using translation layers of
> various complexity,

you mean, it is possible.

> but that is not a true representation of the
> capabilities of the underlying
> device.

what you mean by "true representation of the
capabilities" ?

what i will miss, if i use memory flash device as
block device and merge memory flash device with other
block devices ?

what is the advantage of MTD model with respect to
block devices , why we use MTD ?

thanks for your help.