DOC2000 partitiioning question

Brendan J Simon brendan.simon at bigpond.com
Tue Jun 11 03:38:13 EDT 2002

Thanks for the feedback.  I think it answers all my questions (except
the one below).

>The above layout hasn't been tested much but should work OK. You can give
>both offset and size arguments to the 'nftl_format' program. When using the
>nftl_format program, ensure that the NFTL driver module is not loaded into
>the kernel -- any time the module is loaded (or support is built-in),
>that's like having the NFTL 'mounted', and you shouldn't reformat a mounted
>file system.

HUH ???
If I read this correctly, this means one can NEVER reformat a NFTL
device with kernel that boots from a DOC (since the driver must be built
in to the kernel).  Is this correct ?

This is obviously different for EXT2 and other filesystems, as they can
be reformatted anytime with the driver module loaded or built in to the
kernel.  Is there a technical reason why NFTL is not the same ???

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.