Strange problem related to writing to flash

Justin Wojdacki justin.wojdacki at analog.com
Wed Jun 5 16:58:49 EDT 2002

Justin Wojdacki wrote:

> That's along the lines of what a few of us discussed here, except for
> one issue:
>
> The bootstrap isn't part of the kernel. So the bootstrap has no
> problem running, loading the kernel from flash, and then executing the
> kernel. Seems to me that that wouldn't be possible if the flash wasn't
> in read mode (unless I'm missing something). The bootstrap being used
> has to ID the flash device itself, so if it can ID it and read from it
> fine, the kernel should be able to also right?

Some more information:

The flash is clearly in the read state when the kernel boots.

It looks like the first few passes of cfi_check_qry_or_id() don't
actually get the manufacturer or device ID when this fails. It's not
until the case where interleave = 2 and device_type = 1 that I see a
correct ID happening. I'll post more information when I have more
details into what's going on here.