Jffs2 on MTD

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jul 30 18:32:06 EDT 2002

invictus_rm at hotmail.com said:
>  I am not copying the jffs2 image on to the /dev/mtd3 before mouting
> but  rather copying the files after mounting ( i mean putting the
> required files  after i have mounted the /dev/mtdblock3)

> The reason why i am doing this is becoz i do not need the directory
> structure of a regular filesystem.

Well, mkfs.jffs2 can happily make an image of a file system with no
subdirectories too.

> Does this make any difference in terms of flash usage as compared to
> the  case where i would have copied the jffs2.img to mtd3 and then
> mounted it .

Basically, no. The image created by mkfs.jffs2 will be _slightly_ smaller
to start with, because it's not created incrementally. The difference
should be negligible though, and will go away when the flash gets
garbage-collected anyway.

--
dwmw2