Boot kernel right from JFFS2

Marius Groeger mag at sysgo.de
Fri Jul 12 11:48:15 EDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Patrik Fuchs wrote:

> Here are my basics: PPCBoot1.1.5, Walnut 405GP,
> 8MB AMD NOR Flash with two partitions:
> MTD0 with JFFS2(root filesystem) on it and MTD1 with the bootloader
> PPCBoot1.1.5.
> Is it possible to boot a compressed kernel(Version 2.4.17) with ppcboot
> 1.1.5 right from jffs2 as root filessystem residing on the first MTD
> partition?

Yes. Just for the records: mtd/0 is the entire flash, the partitions
are counted starting with mtd/1 etc. With ppcboot fsinfo,fsload you
can access your jffs file systems.

Another option is to put the kernel image into a raw mtd partition
(eg. cat pImage >/dev/mtd/1). You can then load it from ppcboot with
the regular bootm command. This is faster than using jffs, but of
course the kernel image will not take advantage of the wear levelling.

Regards,
Marius

Marius Groeger           SYSGO Real-Time Solutions GmbH     mgroeger at sysgo.de
Software Engineering     Embedded and Real-Time Software    www.sysgo.de