Mounting JFFS2, Bootloader

Daniel Belz danielb at cyclades.com.br
Thu Jul 11 08:28:46 EDT 2002

Hi,

I have a proprietary board with the MPC860 processor.
For this board, I have a ROM Startup code that lives in a
256k Atmel flash chip (is my BIOS). This code initialize
the needed features, read a "boot sector" from a compact
flash (just for check some integrity) and read a linux
kernel and a ramdisk from previous defined locations.
This works fine, but I like to change this schema to
support the JFFS2 file system.
For this, I like to mantain my ROM startup code, modifying
just the process that load the kernel and ramdisk. The process
must load a bootloader (something like lilo) that allow
read a configuration file from the JFFS partition, choose a kernel to
boot from a list or boot from network.
I'm studing various codes from different bootloaders, and i think
that this isn't very complex. The most complex task is support the
JFFS2.
To do this, i like to solve some doubts:
1 - How i do to mount the JFFS2 without before load the kernel?
2 - I need mount the JFFS2 to read files from them, or I can read files
from the partition without mount them?
3 - When I mount the partition: on startup of the BL or just when I need
to read something?
4 - Which are the steps to mount the FS? Which functions are needed call
to do this?
5 - Which files I need to include in the software?
6 - Someone have a sample code that explain these process?

I like to known some opinions and hints to do this!

PS.: I don't like to use the PPCBoot!!!

Tanks

 Daniel Belz           danielb at cyclades.com.br
 Cyclades Brasil       R&D
 Sao Paulo - Brazil    +55 (11) 5033-3393