CLEANMARKER question

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Fri Jan 4 05:33:55 EST 2002

> From: David Woodhouse [mailto:dwmw2 at redhat.com]On Behalf Of David
> Woodhouse
> Joakim.Tjernlund at lumentis.se said:
> > I have problems to understand the CLEANMARKER concept. Can a flash
> > erase  sector which has a CLEANMARKER in the beginning contain any
> > data or can one  assume that the rest of the erase sector is erased?
>
> Yes, it can contain data. The CLEANMARKER is there just to show that the
> erase completed successfully. It's not erased before the block is actually
> filled with data.
OK, I suspected that much. So after a CLEANMARKER there can be a NODETYPE_INODE or
a NODETYPE_DIRENT?

Why do you do 2 scan_empty() calls in scan_eraseblock() ?

> What are your plans for improving the mount speed?
Well, sofar I have only identified one improvement. One could add an isempty() function
in the mtd layer. That would improve scaning for empy flash so that you dont
have to mtd->read() into a buffer and then check the buffer for 0xffffffff. How
does that sound?