Error using GRUB patch (and LILO questions)

Herman Theron HEtheron at csir.co.za
Mon Feb 25 04:22:51 EST 2002

Hi Ilguiz

Yes, I upgraded to automake 1.5, and that solved the problem with grub.
I successfully installed Grub and got the system booting. Being used to
LILO, I must say that is was a bit difficult for me. The
README_DiskOnChip can give more information on how to setup the DOC
(going through nftl_format,etc, etc). Grub unfortunately doesn't abide
to the BIOS boot order. Sometimes I want to boot using a stiffy (rescue
disk), but Grub will always start first. I know that you should be able
to boot from fd0 from Grub, but it is not easy (especially not for
somebody that does not know grub well enough).

So, I still prefer LILO. And yes, I actually got version Lilo 22.2 to
boot my DOC. Thanks Ilguiz. Here follows my lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/nftl/disc0/disc
disk=/dev/nftl/disc0/disc
bios=0x80
lba32
install=/boot/boot-text.b
map=/boot/map
backup=/dev/null
prompt
timeout=50
default=Linux
image=/boot/bzImage-2.4.17-rthal5g
        label=Linux
        root=/dev/nftl/disc0/disc
        vga=normal
	read-only
image=/boot/bzImage-2.4.17-rthal5g
        label=Linux-fb
        root=/dev/nftl/disc0/disc
        vga=0x314
	read-only

I had to tell LILO to use the DOC as the first drive (bios=0x80);

Thanks all
Herman
>>> Ilguiz Latypov <ilatypov at superbt.com> 02/22/02 06:57PM >>>

Herman,

Can you try the updated automake and autoconf packages from
  ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS

Mine are
  automake-1.5-8
  autoconf-2.52-6
I get only a couple of warnings with autoconf.  Sorry for the
configuration nuisance.

Ilguiz

P.S.  Have you checked the LILO HOWTO at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/LILO ? After the
quick
search on the web I have a suspicion that your M-Sys BIOS firmware was
configured to pretend as a second hard drive.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Herman Theron wrote:

> stage1/Makefile.am:55: invalid variable `nodist_pkgdata_DATA'

Herman Theron
Hermanus Magnetic Observatory
CSIR
PO Box 32