DiskOnChip 2000 and Millenium support in GRUB bootloader

Vadim Khmelnitsky VadimK at m-sys.com
Thu Feb 21 17:50:22 EST 2002

Guys,
I'm not sure what doc-loadbios is doing, but i assume that it writes some
stuff to the physical offset 0 of the diskonchip
in order to replace diskonchip BIOS driver with grub loader .
It should work fine with DOC2000 series , since the IPL code ( the one that
starts with 55AA signature ) is placed in ROM .
It will not work for the Millennium chip because IPL code is placed in flash
( offset 0 ) and downloaded to SRAM upon reset.
Millennium chip has small piece of SRAM instead of ROM . So, like i said
upon reset first 512 bytes of data are downloaded from flash to SRAM . Then
BIOS can access it read 55AA signature and hand control over to this piece
of code .
If you want to make doc-loadbios to work with Millennium chip you should put
it behind IPL code . IPL is 512 bites long . We have two copies of it . So,
you can put your code at offset 1KB .

Vadim