jffs2_scan_make_ino_cache() in scan.c very slow

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Feb 21 10:47:03 EST 2002

joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se said:
>  Setting INOCACHE_HASHSIZE to 14(higher values makes it PANIC at
> mount, don't know why)

Possibly because the superblock union gets too big. What does it say when
it panics?

> and changed the beginning of jffs2_scan_make_ino_cache() to {
> is it OK to make *ic an static variable?

No - consider 'mount /opt & mount /usr' - it has to be per-filesystem. If
it's this which really makes a difference, then we can add the pointer to
the jffs2_sb_info. Can you make it keep a count of how many hits and misses
there are, and print the counts when it's finished mounting?

> Now my mount time is just half of what it used to be!!(well almost :-)

Cool - can you try each of these changes on its own and measure the benefit
of each?

--
dwmw2