Kerlen 2.4.13 and ramdisks

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Feb 19 18:50:38 EST 2002

So far so good.  zlib provides the CRC funtionality.  As a test after I
download, decompressed, and decrypted the file, I tftd'ed it back to my
development bx for analysis.  Yep it was an ext2 file systemall right.
Mountable too.  My earlier versions was like my prototype.  The only change
was a version from 2.2.16 to 2.4.7 kernel.  In the 2.4.X I found that if I
did the following:

dd if=fs.img of=/dev/ram5
mount /dev/ram5 /mnt
umount /dev/ram5
mount /dev/ram5 /mnt

The 2nd mount would sometimes fail and sometims succeed.  If it failed and I
looked at the device its as if there was no ext2 partiton at all.  Only
garbage.

This random failure leads me to beleive there is an issue in ramdisks
support.  How many people use 3 ramdisks?   I only use them in the embedded
devices.
Development box uses loop back devices.