Kerlen 2.4.13 and ramdisks

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Feb 19 17:01:00 EST 2002

Ian,

loopback would not allow me to write to the image while running it.  Making
the flash (upgrade) process more difficult.  The FS is ext2 and I do not use
mount.

The only way the kernel can mount this is by me putting it in memory first.
The only way to do that is with initrd.  It owkrs when initrd only places
that data there.  When I try to download the *same* data from the network
and put there it craps out.  I have to download the data first before I can
place it in /dev/ram7.  TO do that I mount a ram fs at a upper limit of
32mb.  Download the file there then place it in /dev/ram7.  Just by using
that memory as temporary storeage I'm haing problems.  I've read posts that
state that certain 2.4.X kernels have problems repecting the boundaries of a
ramdisk.  They tend to overwrite those areas when needing memory.

lilo.conf:
   root=/dev/ram7