MTD concat layer

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Feb 13 09:01:35 EST 2002

Daniel Engström <daniel at omicron.se> writes:

> On 2002.02.13 12:37 Robert Schwebel wrote:
> > The DNP has only one Intel 28F016F3 flash chip. Does anybody know
> > something about the reason why this strange layout for the BIOS was
> > chosen?
>
> The realmode BIOS must reside at 0xf0000-0xfffff in system
> memory. Depending
> on which options the chipset offers to map the flash, the BIOS may have to
> be located in the middle of the flash device.

Hmm.  Except the BIOS starts executing at 0xfffffff0 in system memory,
so ROMS chips usually reside at 0xfff00000 - 0xffffffff.  Usually an
alias exists at 0xf0000-0xfffff is handy but not required.  (I
don't use it when I port LinuxBIOS to a new board).  But usually
0xf0000-0xfffff on x86 is surrounded by RAM so this does not appear to
be the reason.

Eric