Space Loss in JFFS on an EST-SBC8260

Andrew Dixon andrew.dixon at seranoa.com
Fri Feb 1 12:46:05 EST 2002

Scott Ikenaga wrote:

> We are using JFFS on EST-SBC8260. The problem we are facing now is that
> the space can't be reclaimed after files being deleted.

I don't believe that space should be reclaimed right away.  You only get
space back after the garbage collector has been through and cleaned up
the flash.  (The preceding is mostly a guess.  You should get
independent conformation.)

 So we are
> running out of space as shown by "du".

What's your kernel configuration?

> Questions:
> (1)Is this a known problem? If so, is there a fix?

I haven't seen it before.

> (2)Could this contribute to another problem where the system becomes
>    very sluggish?

It doesn't seem very likely to me but it's hard to tell without knowing
what the configuration of your system is.  You could try running off of
an NFS root filesystem (if that's an option) and see if you performance
is better.

--
Andrew Dixon
Software Engineer