need arguments to use JFFS2

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Dec 6 05:34:15 EST 2002

Dear Chantara,

in message <049e01c29d0f$b3c52ff0$221faf9d at iphase.com> you wrote:

> In the web, I am not sure to see an article which clearly express the
> advantage of JFFS2.

It makes little  sense  to  dicuss  "advantages"  without  specifying
requirements.

> Please could someone give me some arguments to use JFFS2 instead of all
> others Flash FS such as CRAMFS ?

One significant advantage is that JFFS2 provides a  _writable_  flash
filesystem,  while cramfs is read-only. But as stated before: this is
an advantage only when you need a writable filesystem.

> One of the reason could it be in the Flash management : optimization ?

Yes.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by  at  least
one instruction - from which, by induction, one can deduce that every
program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work.