JFFS2 questions

Chantara Thlang thlang at iphase.com
Thu Dec 5 03:28:25 EST 2002

Hi all,
I am facing with several questions with JFFS2. Could someone give me some

what is the meaning for Empty Block and Marking dirty, why do I have Empty
Block ????
 jffs2_scan_empty(): Empty block at 0x0000fffc ends at 0x00010000 (with
0x1985e002)! Marking dirty

The file system I created is very small size (5 MB) and the /dev/mtdblock2
size is around 30 MB

It seems that JFFS2 scans the entire memory space and erase unmarked block
 jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x0100000c:
0xffff instead

Who is supoosed to write the Magic bitmask ???
Why Jffs2 scans the entire memory space ? It is not supposed to end at the
last address that we can find in the file system that I created with
mkfs.jffs2 ????

Write clean marker to block at 0x016c0000 failed: -5
Newly-erased block contained word 0xffff0198 at offset 0x01000004

What is a clean marker ???

Thanks in advance,

Chantara Thlang
Interphase Corporation