basic question on CFI flash and JEDEC flash

Xiaogeng (Shawn) Jin xjin at redswitch.com
Tue Aug 20 22:40:20 EDT 2002

A basic question on flash memory. What's the difference between CFI and
JEDEC flash?

I'm trying to add support of AMD Am29LV642D in MTD. After looking into
MTD device drivers, I found three source files doing flash memory probe.
They are cfi_probe.c, jedec_probe.c and jedec.c. The comments on jedec.c
clearly descibe its usage. But I don't quite understand the other two
files. Literally cfi_probe.c does cfi-compliant flash probe and
jedec_probe.c does jedec flash probe. My confusion comes from that
jedec_probe.c actually calls many cfi-related functions. So what should
I do to support Am29LV642D?

BTW, I successfully added Intel I28F160F3T support, which is an JEDEC
type flash (not sure about this, :(), by adding corresponding
information into jedec_table[].

Thanks.

- Shawn.