Latest Grub CVS results in UnitSizeFactor problems

Karim Yaghmour karim at opersys.com
Tue Aug 13 01:06:34 EDT 2002

I've been playing around with the latest Grub code from CVS
on a 32MB DOC 2000. There was no way to get the NFTL code in
MTD to recognize the DOC once the firmware image was written
using: doc_loadbios /dev/mtd0 grub_firmware
I always got the following message when loading the nftl module:
Sorry, we don't support UnitSizeFactor 0x6e

When using Grub 0.92, however, everything works fine (except
that I had to steal the configure.in, stage1/Makefile.am and
stage2/Makefile.am from the CVS to get 0.92 to build because
I have the latest automake/autoconf versions).

I tried digging around the Grub source code to see where the
problem originates from so that I could fix it, but I don't
have the time to become a grub-internals guru. I can see that
the "ANAND" character string has something to do with the
position where the media header is being looked for, but the
only place I can find this string is in a C call to strcmp().
Beats me how this can be used as a marker.

Karim

                 Karim Yaghmour
               karim at opersys.com
      Embedded and Real-Time Linux Expert