Avoiding DOC hotplug when Grub fails

Karim Yaghmour karim at opersys.com
Thu Aug 8 20:50:47 EDT 2002

As far as I can see by browsing this mailing list archive, one
has to hotplug the DOC device in order to have the HD come up
first if Grub fails in some way after having hijacked int 19h.
This is rather inconvenient, to say the least.

Why not just hijack int 16h (keyboard) while we're at it, write
a small keyboard int handler, and check if the space-bar (or
some other key) is held down while Grub is booting? If it is,
then Grub invokes the BIOS's original int 19h which then proceeds
normally. If it isn't, then Grub continues with its own load
procedure.

Comments?

Karim

                 Karim Yaghmour