Disk blocks for long periods

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Tue Aug 6 12:45:59 EDT 2002

> spin_lock_bh() should not disable interrupts, only bottom-halves. It was
> used to protect against timers, because we intend(ed) to have the erase
> completion done from a timer. At the moment there's no real need to use
> anything but spin_lock().

Can the JFFS2 layer also use spin_lock() instead of spin_lock_bh()?
Shold we try not to disable bottom-halves or does it not matter?

BTW,
     I just did a test, ran this some 20 times:
     #> time cp tstfile tmp1 & time cp file tmp2 & time cp file tmp3 &
     sometimes I removed the tmp1,tmp2 and tmp3 files before running it.

     if I rm the files first it takes 10 seconds to complete and if I don't
     it takes 20 seconds. It's a bit much I think.

I have set kupdate to run every .5 second
tstfile is 581K

 Jocke