boot from diskonchip millenium

Glen mtd at empireenterprises.com
Mon Aug 5 19:20:36 EDT 2002

Well, I've gotten a bit farther.
Since I would prefer grub, we'll go that route.

For description, we'll say I have the mtd-source in /mtd and grub in
/grub-0.92.

First, I compiled grub with --enable-diskonchip-mil, --enable-ext2fs,
and --enable-vfat

# cp /grub-0.92/stage2/pre_stage2 /mtd/grub
# /mtd/util/doc_loadbios /dev/mtd/0 /mtd/grub/grub_firmware

This didn't seem to present any results, as the bios didn't recognize a
bootloader at all.

Then I tried running doc_loadbios with the grub_firmware generated from
within /grub-0.92/stage1.

Now the bios recognizes and runs the boot loader, but it can't seem to
read my diskonchip filesystem.

I've been loosely following the directions at:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2001-October/003475.html

I'm a bit confused.
What's the difference between the grub_firmware generated by grub and
grub_firmware generated by mtd?

-g

First, I tried loading the grub_firmware that was generated from <mtd
source>/grub.