MTD Partition problems

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Aug 5 06:35:11 EDT 2002

joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de said:
> > Sorry for the stupid question: If it's by design, why is it going to
> > be ripped out sometime soon?

> It might have made sense, when it was designed. It might just have
> been a relatively new developer making the usual mistakes. Whatever.

> Fact is that it is useless, the superuser can create a read only
> device simply by 'chmod -w /dev/mtd0', if she wishes. That is all
> those extra devices do, except for causing confusion and eating up
> minor numbers.

I inherited the major number from elsewhere, and it was already set up like
that. I haven't changed it because people have only just started to read
the bloody documentation and set it up right -- with the occasional
exception :)

>  Currently, there is no branch that tackles this problem. There was
> one, but David never took a look, was busy, and rescheduled to 'when
> 2.4.19 is out'. Now I am busy,...

I want to get the remaining changes in the tree into 2.4.20-pre, then
update the code for 2.5 and start doing new exciting stuff.

--
dwmw2