Booting from /dev/mtdblock/0

Jim Thompson jim at musenki.com
Sun Apr 28 22:28:35 EDT 2002

Its a one-line fix.

    static release_t mtdblock_release(struct inode *inode, struct file *file)
    {
	    int dev;
	    struct mtdblk_dev *mtdblk;
	    DEBUG(MTD_DEBUG_LEVEL1, "mtdblock_release\n", inode);

	    if (inode == NULL)
		    release_return(-ENODEV);

    #if 0
	    invalidate_device(inode->i_rdev, 1);
    #endif

John Weston writes:
> G'day,
>
> Have not got to the bottom of this yet, but having the same problem. We had
> a development board which worked fine using kernel version 2.4.3 but since
> updating to 2.4.18 we are now seeing the same problem.
>
> Does anyone know of any required patches for this?
>
> Thanks
>
> John Weston
>

> Mutada Shah wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to boot from /dev/mtdblock/0 (root=/dev/mtdblock/0 in cmdline
> > options)
> >
> > When I boot from nfs, I can mount /dev/mtdblock/0 no problem from
> > command line & unmount etc.
> >
> > But if I pass it as the root= option, while booting it gets stuck.
> >
> > With mtd debug level to 3 I see that it tries mtdblock_open twice...
> > which it shouldnt..
> >
> > "mtdblock_open
> > ok
> > mtdblock_open
> > mtdblock_release"
> >
> > Then it hangs here for a long time.
> > What could be the cause?
> >
> > Murtada

"Life begins when you can spend your spare time programming
instead of watching television."  -- Cal Keegan