JFFS2 on 8MB Flash-Chip conneted to MPC850 works extremly slo w:(

Jonas Holmberg jonas.holmberg at axis.com
Thu Sep 6 09:47:25 EDT 2001

> Thinks... there's actually no reason at all why the devices
> registered by
> your map driver shouldn't overlap - one for the whole chip for
> reprogramming, and one for the cramfs image.

Great idea, thanks a lot!

> add_mtd_partitions might not like it atm, but we could invent
> a new flags
> which tells it to accept the overlap.

It doesn't complain, so we don't have to invent anything.

One thing, though... (there's always one thing:)
I get a few printk's from drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c:

attempt to access beyond end of device
1f:03: rw=0, want=992, limit=984
attempt to access beyond end of device
1f:03: rw=0, want=1000, limit=984
attempt to access beyond end of device
1f:03: rw=0, want=1008, limit=984
attempt to access beyond end of device
1f:03: rw=0, want=992, limit=984
attempt to access beyond end of device
1f:03: rw=0, want=1000, limit=984
attempt to access beyond end of device
1f:03: rw=0, want=1008, limit=984

limit=984 seems OK, the size of the new "overlapping" partition is
0xf6000 == (984 * 1024). But I cannot figure out what cramfs is doing
trying to access above that limit.

A comment in drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c says:

/* This may well happen - the kernel calls bread()
   without checking the size of the device, e.g.,
   when mounting a device. */

Everything seems to work, but the printk's are annoying. Any idea?

/Jonas