Boot DOC2000 readonly...

Bill Seisler wrs122 at psu.edu
Thu Oct 25 08:38:32 EDT 2001

Here's my setup:
PIII 850, 256MB RAM, 144 MB DOC2000, Redhat Linux 7.1, Kernel version
2.4.9, DOC formatted ext2.

I can boot from DOC without a problem. I have a nice little linux root
filesystem on it and everything (approx 70 MB). I know I can trim it down
some more if I have to.

The next step I have to do is to make the system capable of handling power
outages (instead of powering down linux properly). The idea was to mount
DOC read-only, reducing it to a ROM essentially and mounting writeable
areas to a ramdisk. I have one problem, I do not know how to populate the
ramdisk area or where during bootup this should be done properly. I can
boot from an initrd and I've even played with a linuxrc file. However, nash
is not the friendliest of shells (if you consider it a shell). I can mount
stuff but I can't copy or dd anything to a ramdisk. The commands just don't
work, even if I copy the binaries cp and dd to my initrd image.

I looked at the instructions provided with the MTD CVS, however, I think
putting only what is written to in a ramdisk is a faster booting solution.

I like the idea of mounting one large ramdisk as var and populating it
appropriately (including /var/tmp and /var/dev). If I use an initrd, and
setup linuxrc to
mount /dev/nftla1 as root. Where would I put the commands to mount and
populate the ramdisk?

And suggestions/ideas/detailed instructions are greatly appreciated.
-Bill