MTD newbie

Cristiano Paris c.paris at libero.it
Mon Oct 1 06:49:35 EDT 2001

Hi everyone.

I have a question about the Linux MTD layer. I'm mainly interested in the
JFFS2 development and, as a private user, I cannot count on enterprise
level resources.

I own a iPAQ but I don't want to waste write operations to the Flash so
I'm looking for a way to mount and operate JFFS2 filesystems without a
flash.

I'm wondering if something like /dev/loop or /dev/ram can be used. At
first I decided to write an MTD interface to a virtual MTD device, but I
don't want to re-invent the wheel. Is anything like this out there ?

If not, I can write a new module.

Thanks

Cristiano