mkfs.jffs2 propsal and a question about burst reads

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Tue Nov 6 09:07:09 EST 2001

> Well, you can think of a log-structured filesystem as "all journal," so the
> "J" applies.

As far as I recall, the "trick" with journaling filesystems is to log
only the metadata. On normal hard drives, this speeds up the most
common operations, reads, and is still sufficient for most people.
Real log-structured filesystems are considered slow in every-day
useage and to my knowledge only one was ever implemented for some bsd
flavor.
But this is getting quite academic now. :)

Jörn

--
In disagreements with loved ones, deal only
with the current situation. Don't bring up the past.