Invalid ioctl answer + another question

Williams, Kevin M. kevin.m.williams at marconi.com
Mon May 7 08:34:34 EDT 2001

Edmund,

I just posted a similar problem last week and David's suggestion fixed my
problem....

I was running a 2.4.4 kernel, but using the utilities built from an older
kernel (2.4.3-pre-3).  I rebuilt everything in the 'util' directory with the
new kernel headers from 2.4.4 and my ioctl error went away.  Try rebuilding
the mkfs.jffs binary with the new kernel headers.

However, I now have the following timeout error and question:

bash#>sbin/erase /dev/mtd2 0 6
MTD_open
Erase Total 6 Units
MTD_ioctlMTD_ioctl
Erase Unit Size MTD_ioctl
Performing Flash Erase of length 131072 at offset 0x0waiting for erase to
complete timed out.
MTD Erase failure: Input/output error<6>MTD_close

Can anyone give me any ideas on why I am getting this?  I just
double-checked, and the old 'erase' utility works with this same hardware
and my 2.4.3-pre-3 kernel (with the 5 April mtd snapsnot).

Thank you in advance for any help!

Kevin