Flash driver probe/commandset separation.

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Thu May 3 13:32:14 EDT 2001

David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> writes:

> nico at cam.org said:
> >  Personally I think it would be best to send the curent code to Linus
> > and resend another update eventually when the new stuff would have
> > been proven stable.
>
> > 	"release early, release often"
>
> Yes, you're probably right.
>
> TODO list then:
>
> 	1. Make cfi_cmdset_000[12].c compile again :)
> 	2. Fix the partition stuff as discussed, removing VIRTUAL_ER
> 	3. Sanity check DiskOnChip and NFTL drivers.
        4. Don't hardcode the cmdset in cfi_jedec.

I keep using very different flash chips so I want one probe path for
all of the chips looks good.

Note there is a good argument for joining the probe paths
Handling chip interleaving, unless we can make it simple
we don't want that duplicated many times.

I'll try to have something working for 2 & 4 by the end of today.  Any
hints on why the cmdset drivers don't compile?

Eric