Nand Flash & JFFS

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Fri Mar 30 08:01:55 EST 2001

Hi all

We are buliding a custom PPC860 board, which will use JFFS/JFFS2 as a root
file system which will hold all files we need. The FS must survive sudden
power loss.
My plan was to use NOR flash(128MB or more)which will partioned into a
Firmware/boot,
raw linux kernel partition(if we can't find a boot SW will can boot linux
from JFFS) and the rest
will linux root FS with our apps.

Now, our HW guy wants to put NAND flash on since it is cheaper and has
higher density.
I dont think it's a good idea to have boot code in NAND flash due to the
possibility of
bad blocks, so I envision a board with a NOR flash as boot device and then
we could use NAND for a raw linux kernel partition and JFFS partition.

Is this a good idea?

Does JFFS/MTD support NAND flashes well yet?
Can it handle bad blocks?
Which chip models?
Which geometries are supported(4x8, 2x8 1x8)?
Can RedBoot(when JFFS support has been impl.) read a kernel from JFFS
and boot it?

  Regards
           Joakim Tjernlund