DOC2000 - 96MB on a 650Mhz PIII - cannot doc_read_ecc

Pete Skelly pete.skelly at astanetworks.com
Mon Mar 5 17:48:43 EST 2001

Found the problem...
11.4.1 states that you must wait for ready after reading
the last byte in a page, as the flash devices needs to
change pages.
According to the toshiba doc's on the particular flash chips
in my DoC, this holds true for both in band and out-of-band
memory.
The nftl driver performs an oob read to check the ANAND header,
and the 8 byte oob data is at the end of the 16 byte oob data
page, causing a 'busy' cycle.

I've also verified that there is no 'page end' check for
doc_read or doc_read_ecc.

I've tested my fixes for this against my 96MB DoC on PIII module
with success, and have checked in a patch on cvs.

It'd be great if someone could verify this fix against a
DoC Millenium, as I don't have access to one of those.

A number of people have indicated they have been having problems
with larger DoC devices, and I suspect this may in fact be the problem.
Either the page swap delay is longer on larger devices, or they
are running on faster machines.